Sunday, October 19, 2014

Weekly Blog

Monday: Today we started out by pulling out our worksheet we started last week. It is about atoms and elements. We did this in class, this was a good way to know better about how the read the periodic table and more about electrons,protons, and neutrons. We started this mini project by figuring out how many protons,neutrons.and electrons there are in a certain element. My element was beryllium. It has 2 protons, 2 neutrons, and 5 electrons. We first put a circle in sharpie on a plastic plate, we put it at the crease of the plate. Then we put different colored protons,neutrons, and electrons on the plate. I put two green Fruit Loops in the middle, and I also put 2 red Fruit Loops in the middle. With the electrons I put 5 blue Fruit Loops on the circle that I drew with sharpie. Here is what one of them looked like. I think that this was one of the fun experiments we do this week. Today we also talked about the project we have due on Monday. We basically make a 3-d model of an atom.








Tuesday: Today we had a nice surprise. This experiment was really fun. So Mrs.G gave us a flame test lab. This seemed like another usual lab, but it ended up being something really fun. Mrs.Giacommelli was soaking popsicle sticks in different element dissolved in water. We had copper,lithium,strontium,sodium,potassium,sodium and potassium mixed, sodium and potassium seen through cobalt glass, calcium, barium, and finally an unknown. So Mrs.G talked to us and showed us a bunsen burner aka blow torch. I think that this was a pretty cool tool. It makes a very hot flame when you turn it on. When we put copper throughout the flame it made it jade green flame, when we put lithium it was a crimson red, when we put strontium through it was a really bright red. When we put sodium through it was a regular orange, when we put potassium through it was purple violet color, when we put sodium and potassium mixed through it was a orange Then we did something different we had cobalt glass so when we put the sodium and potassium mixture through again it was a violet. When we put calcium through it was a deeper orange that the sodium, then we put barium, it was a yellow greenish color. Here ar some pictures.

 This is the one through cobalt glass.





Wednesday: Today we continued doing our blow torch fun. Today we did the unknown and we did some of the elements again. Overall this lab was really fun i had a lot of fun myself. I think that everyone else had a lot of fun to. Today we also talked about the quiz that we have tomorrow. The quiz is going to be about the people who figured out the atom and about the atom. I have been studying and hope I do well.


Thursday: Today we had the quiz. I think the quiz was a little hard, I didn't study as well as I should've. I didn't have a lot of time. I don't think I am going to get the best grade. Today I started on my atomic project which is due on Monday. My element is neon, and I working independently. I think this project id going to be fun.


Friday: Today we got our tests back, talked about mole day, and TGIF! When I got my quiz back I wasn't so happy about my grade. We went over our quiz and I realized that the mistakes that I make were careless errors. I think that I should've studied more. Today we also talked about Mole day. It is next Tuesday. We bring in a white shirt and we decorate and put jokes on it about Avogadroes number. That concludes my blog!

What I could improve on:
I could improve on making my study habits better and making my handwriting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment